New house construction or electrical service upgrade: where do I start?

Contact Nelson Hydro at 250-352-8240, Monday to Friday 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. to apply for a new service or an upgrade. You will need to enlist the services of a licensed electrical contractor. Your contractor can call Nelson Hydro on your behalf, or you can call directly. All required permits and payments must be received by Nelson Hydro before a connection can occur.

For first-time electrical service to a vacant lot, a site visit is necessary. Before any construction can begin, all permits, payments and required easements or rights-of-way must be in place.

Please note: Your legal land description can be found in the land title, mortgage papers or tax assessment information. If you rent the property, this information can be found on your lease agreement. Contact your landlord or check with City Hall if you are unable to find your legal land description.

For more information, please visit Electric Services.

Show All Answers

1. Moving in, moving out: what do I do?
2. How much advance notice do I need to open, close or transfer an account?
3. New house construction or electrical service upgrade: where do I start?
4. How often am I billed, and how do I pay?
5. What causes power outages, and will I be notified?
6. What do I do if the power goes out?
7. What do I need to know about trees, branches, and power?
8. Electrical emergency and safety: what should I know?
9. I want to locate the buried wires and electrical cables on my property. What should I do?
10. What should I do if I damaged an electrical cable while I was working in my yard?