Planning Services

Development Applications

Please complete a Development Application Form (PDF) and submit to the Development Services and Engineering Department if you are seeking approval for any of the following:

  • Board of Variance
  • Development Permit (Major - greater than 50 square metres)
  • Development Permit (Minor - less than 50 square metres)
  • Development Variance Permit
  • Heritage Alteration Permit
  • Land Use Regulation Bylaw (Zoning) Amendment
  • Liquor License
  • Cannabis Retail Store (once an application has already been received and processed by the Province)
  • Official Community Plan Bylaw Amendment
  • Road Closure
  • Subdivision
  • Temporary Commercial or Industrial Use Permits

Signage, Facade Changes, Awning & Murals

For information and the application form related to signage, facade changes, awnings and murals, please click here.

Submitting Applications

Applications can be hand delivered, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday at the second floor of City Hall. Electronic copies may be submitted in PDF format by email to Development Services.

Sustainability Checklist

Applicants are encouraged to complete a Sustainability Checklist (PDF).

Site Disclosure Statement

The Site Disclosure Statement form is a provincial requirement under environmental contamination legislation. The form can be downloaded here (note: the form may not open within your browser; you may have to download it and open with Adobe Acrobat or similar software).

Not all applications will require a site disclosure statement. For more information, visit the Ministry of Environment's website.

Notice of Development

For those applications which require a Notice of Development Sign, please refer to Schedule 1 of the Land Development Applications Procedures Bylaw.

Nelson Hydro

Applicants must contact Nelson Hydro for confirmation on electrical servicing requirements.