Applications & Forms
Links to downloadable applications and forms for a wide range of city-related services can be found here. Please ensure that your application is filled in completely, and that you attach the applicable payment and supporting documents (if required) when you submit your application.
- Banner Request Application (PDF): For community groups and organizations wanting to display special event or promotional banners above Baker Street, or on the outside of the Civic Centre. Requests should be received by City Hall 60 days before the required date.
- Certificate of Insurance (PDF): This form certifies that policies of Insurance, subject to their terms, conditions and exclusions, are presently in force for the Insured named with the insurer specified. This form is accepted as well as valid Certificates of Insurance from certified insurance companies.
- Community Service Application (PDF) (See Committees for details)
- Complaint Form (PDF): Nelson residents with either compliments or complaints are encouraged to submit them in writing to City Hall.
- Delegation Request Form (PDF): Requests to approach Council as a Delegation at regularly scheduled Council meetings should be made in writing. This form should be completed and submitted to the Corporate Officer together with presentation materials ten days in advance of the meeting. (See Delegations for details)
- Freedom of Information Request Form (PDF) (fillable): To access records held by the Corporation of the City of Nelson.
- Bylaw Enforcement Complaint Form (PDF) (See Animal and Bylaw Services for details): Form for submitting a complaint regarding a bylaw
- Bylaw Notice Dispute Form (PDF) (See Parking for details): Form to dispute an animal bylaw infraction, parking ticket, etc.
Development Services and Engineering
- Business License Application (General) and Fee Schedule (PDF) (See Business License page for details): Businesses operating within the city are required to apply for an annual business license
- Business License Application for Short-Term Rentals (PDF)
- Building Permit Application (PDF) (See Building Permits for details): Applications for Building Permits must include the appropriate checklist:
- Checklist - New Commercial, Multi-Residential, Industrial (PDF)
- Checklist - Renovation to Commercial, Multi-Residential, Industrial (PDF) (e.g.: Tenant Improvements)
- Checklist - Residential: New House, Additions, Laneway House (PDF)
- Checklist - Residential: Secondary Suites (PDF)
- Checklist - Residential: Interior Renovation (PDF)
- Checklist - Residential: Accessory (PDF)
- Checklist - Residential: Decks and Porches (PDF)
- Development Application Form (PDF) (See Development Application section for details): For Development Permits (Development Variance Permits, Subdivision, Temporary Commercial and/or Industrial Permits, Amendments to the Official Community Plan/Zoning Bylaw, Liquor License, and Heritage Alteration Permits).
- Downtown Development Application Form - for Façade Awning Mural (PDF): see Development Application section for details).
- Encroachment Agreement and License to Occupy Application Form (PDF)
- File Access Permission Form (for real estate agents, etc.)
- Owners Representative Form (PDF): Applications made by an Applicant who is not the owner of the property must have the Property Owner complete this form. It is to be submitted when the application is made.
- Plumbing Permit Application (PDF)
- Sidewalk Cafe Application Form and Policy (PDF): Businesses that plan to occupy a portion of sidewalk or municipal road allowance for use as a seating area are required to submit an application and adhere to the design guidelines attached.
- Sign Permit Application Form (PDF): including sandwich boards.
- Sustainability Checklist (PDF) (See Sustainability for details): Applicants are strongly encouraged to complete a City of Nelson Sustainability Checklist when applying for an Amendment to the OCP, Amendment to the Land Use Regulation Bylaw (Rezoning), Major or Minor Development Permit, Development Variance Permit or Preliminary Layout Approval of Subdivision. Please see the Development Application page for further details.
Electrical Services (Nelson Hydro)
- EcoSave Registration Form (PDF) (See EcoSave Energy Retrofits Program for details)
- Electrical Service Application (PDF) (See Applications for details)
Fibre Optic Services
- Pre-Authorized Payment Request Form (PDF) (See Property Information for details): The City of Nelson offers an installment plan that allows you to make equal payments on your property taxes, electrical, or water/sewer. Instead of making one single payment on or before the due date.
Fire and Rescue Services
- Auxiliary Members Application Form (PDF) (See Recruitment for details)
- Fire Safety Plan Template (PDF) (See Fire Prevention for details)
- Safety Equipment Monthly Checklist (PDF) (See Fire Prevention for details)
- Sk8 Park Waiver (PDF) (See Programs for details): The Nelson and District Youth Centre is proud of its 2,000 square feet of indoor ramps, bowl, rollers, rails and kickers, open year-round. Everyone who uses the Sk8 Park is required to complete the waiver.