The Nelson Police have partnered with the Central Kootenay RCMP to provide a joint regional Victim Services Unit that provides specific services to anyone who has been a victim of crime. The Unit is available to assist victims of crime to cope with victimization Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (excluding holidays). These services include:
- crisis intervention
- emotional support
- updates on the progress of police investigations and court proceedings
- preparation for court appearances
- accompanying victims to court
- assistance in applying for Criminal Injury Compensation
- referral to other agencies for legal or financial information or for long-term counselling
Being a victim of crime can cause financial, physical and emotional hardship. Help is available.
If you are the victim of crime, report it to the police immediately, and request to be contacted by the Victim Services Unit or call the Victim Services Coordinator at 250-505-5657 or 250-354-5196.
You may also contact VictimLinkBC any time of the day or night every day of the year by calling or texting 1-800-563-0808.
Government of Canada Victims of Crime
Canadian Victims Bill of Rights
Canadian Victims Bill of Rights FAQs