Signage, Facades, Awnings & Murals

Please complete a Development Application Form - Sign Facade Awning Mural (PDF).


The City of Nelson Sign Regulation Bylaw  regulates the type, size and number of signs permitted.

All signage within the downtown core requires approval from the City and may also require a Building Permit. Signage outside of the downtown core requires a Building Permit.

We encourage you to contact city staff to discuss your proposal before making an application.

Sandwich Boards

All Sandwich Boards within the downtown core require a permit.

To apply for a Sandwich Board permit, please complete the Sandwich Board Application form (PDF) and submit it to the Development Services and Engineering Department between 8:30am and 4:30pm Monday through Friday. Please review the Sign Permit Sandwich Boards Policy (PDF) for design and size requirements. The appropriate fee is found within the Fees and Charges Bylaw.


Applications for murals on private property may require a Development Permit. Applications for murals on buildings are referred to the Cultural Development Commission for review in accordance with the Development Permit Guidelines, Mural Policy (PDF). As part of an application, please review and complete the form Additional Information Required for Murals (PDF). The Cultural Development Commission has developed a Practical Guide to Creating a Mural (PDF). Please consult staff for more information and to discuss your specific proposal.